The Pursuit of Progress
Opinions revolving aroundthe problems, grievances, and solutions to life in Indonesia.

Monday, July 26, 2004

Starbucks thoughts

It's 6.30 in the evening. Planned to go swimming, but it's raining. I don't want to walk in the rain. So here I am in the nearest starbucks (which is next door to the office), just waiting, drinking (needed something warm in my throat) and out boredom writing something for the blog.

It is these kind of times that I remember Indonesia.

Not the starbucks, I've never stepped inside a starbucks before coming in to the US. Come on Rp. 20.000 for a glass of coffee? Gimme a break. Even now when I look at the prices of starbucks I think, '$2 for a cup of coffee? Gimme a break.' The difference is here I can afford to buy a $2 cup of coffee.

There's a real difference in buying power. Everyone knows that. Not that I've got an instant solution (for once :) ). There's a blind beggar in this starbucks. He always comes in for a cup of coffee here. I know he's a regular because all the waiters/waitresses call him by name. Wonder what would happen if a beggar came to starbucks in Indonesia. Probably get kicked out.

I guess that'll be the sign that Indonesia has progressed economically. When a beggar in Indonesia can afford to buy a cup of coffee at starbucks.

Anyway, what I remember most about Indonesia is the rain. Yes.. the rain. The humidity in the air. The cool weather before the rain. The smell of water droplets. The building covered in a fine mist. I'd like to say the smell of earth after rain, except it's all pavement here in the US. It's little things like that which we usually take for granted that reminds me most of Indonesia.

The rain seem to be abating (even though I've only been here 10 minutes or so). I'll just finish my tea ($2.60 + 7% tax) and get out of here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home